Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Self-critique

I was both pleased and displeased with my prototype. Overall, I think the outcome was cool and really brought my vision to life, but there are a lot of things I would improve.
Although I didn't sew on/embroider the fabric patterns onto the cover, I'm very happy with the way the covers turned out. I think it would have made more sense, though, to cover the insides of the covers with the same paper as the pages--for continuity. Alternative to just patterns, I could create a title (probably one that would better describe the premise of my book, which is that all the pop up scenes are dreams) and sew that on with fabric. The buttons sewn on to support the ribbon ties were successful both aesthetically and functionally, although it would make more sense to sew them on before finished the inside cover. The coptic stitch binding holds the book together well while allowing the covers to be opened all the way, face to face, without damaging the book. But each page of the book was individually cut, so I had to bind all the pages together first before binding it all. I only used a thin strip of construction paper for this, so next time I should either use a stronger paper, cut out the pages to make folios (instead of then having to bind them together), or just add extra support where the pages would be sewn. The main reason for this is to prevent tearing where the pages are sewn, which did happen in the making of this first prototype.
As for the content, I'd like to keep the "pop-up" think going; I think it works well. Obviously for the final product, the cutouts would be more precise and the backgrounds of the pages would be colored as well. If possible, I want to look into how I can make the cutouts pop out more when the pages are open--perhaps using a sturdier paper? Also, I'm not sure if I am very satisfied with the window concept, having that cloud frame that encompasses the "dream." Since the book is already shaped like a cloud, I think this window becomes unnecessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.