Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Self Critique

After creating the sleeve for my altered childrens book, I realized that it will be harder than I expected to break out of the box withwhat I have chosen to do with the assignment. I am still happy with the idea of doing a childrens book within an altered book, but creating an altered book that is different from the many that have been done before will be a challenge.

I had the idea of making the sleeve out of felt because it is such a child friendly material... less likely to tear and in a bright color. But I had the challenge of getting the sleeve to fit snugly onto the book without using another material. I couldnt seem to get it to work with using different ways of folding and interlocking the felt, so I used ribbon. It worked.... but I am not sure I am happy with the final product. It is very simple, but I dont see that it is anything new or has any sort of concept. I want to work on making a new sleeve that is a bit more innovative with the felt.

There was also a comment in my feedback about the pages of the altered book being too crinkly because of the glue. I am not sure how to solve this problem.... every altered book I have seen in person has been a bit crinkly and I find that its part of the character that altered books have and I also think that once the illustration is put on the page the crinkles are not ever noticeable. After I do an illustration or two I plan to reevaluate my thoughts on this... if I think the crinkles are distracting to the book then I will find a way to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.